home / contact

The Golborne Road Railway Bridge is a powerful and distinct reminder of the forward progress of mixing and the movement of populations in all their guises. It relates directly to the coming together of people on a London-wide, English, British and European level.

The bridge spans the Great Western Railway route from Paddington Station, providing important access to the shopping and leisure centres of Golborne Road and Portobello Road for all residents of the Kensal Town area, Trellick Tower and Edenham Estate; The areas at the furthest edges of Kensington that began life as an isolated village, descended into notorious slums and now contain a fine mix of people with the heritage and history of much of the world.

The Great Western Railway which the bridge spans, was created by an Act of Parliament on 31st August 1835 to provide a line from Paddington to Bristol.
The line was completed in 1841 at a total cost of £6.5m.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, at the age of 27 and having been educated in both England and France, was appointed as the Chief Engineer.
Brunel died in 1859. He is buried in Kensal Green Cemetary, the oldest English cemetery in operation, close to Paddington Station – the station he designed as the London terminus for the GWR – and within walking distance of both the Golborne Bridge and the Ladbroke Grove Bridge (also known as Bartles Bridge).

The bridge appears to have been built sometime between 1840 and 1880.
The time of the bridge’s construction was during the age of reform, a time of great change and upheaval, made possible to a great deal with the advent of the steam train.
This period is also known as the Second Industrial Revolution, with huge advancements in technology and industry, particularly printing and engine technology and the industries of steel, electricity and manufacturing.

From 1825 and the opening of the Stockton-Darlington rail route the English landscape was transformed. As similar transformation occurred throughout France, Italy, Germany, Western European culture took a new, urbanised course.

By 1852 few English market towns or coastal resorts were without a station and by 1875 five hundred million passengers were being transported each year (1.07 billion journeys were made in 2005).

The railway was a symbol of a new era of unlimited progress and newly acquired mobility.
The Golborne Road Bridge now exists as a unique and distinctive icon of that era, fundamental in creating the inner-city district that has been developed and redeveloped around it. As such the bridge ought to be renovated in an appropriate style that reflects and highlights its heritage and in a method representative of its forward thinking conception.

READ THE FULL PROPOSAL HERE

home / contact